Friday, May 6, 2011

Appraisal

Not knowing, or more of not trusting any Jewelry place, we finally just went to to see what we would have to do for an appraisal. We went Jared Jewelers by Woodfield, since it was down the street from where we ate dinner and didn't have to put much thought into it. They said that their appraisers are only there once a month and it cost $95.00. Cheapo me didn't want to pay for that since we already had the appraisal from the place we got it however we did want to verify that it was real.
Needless to say, I eventually just asked the guy if he could tell me the cut of the ring, which is when he cleaned and examined it. His findings, i.e. the color, cut, size, etc., were exactly what our initial appraisal said so that made me feel relieved. I must admit though I was freaking out when he walked away to another counter to clean it with their steamer; I followed him and stared while he did it.
After he returned it we noticed a grey streak on one side of the stone that we had not seen before. Did he switch the Diamond; were my fears and what happened to my parents coming true? Though the doubt was in my head, I do not believe that he did because I like explained to Chris, neither of us fully examined it closely before going in there due to our concern regarding if it was really what our appraisal said and us not wanting to be let down with something we loved; we should have done our homework though and been prepared before we went in and handed it over - oppps!
What made me feel a little less worried was that I noticed that the stone had the same exactly very slight wiggle it had before. Moreover, when we got home, I did spend quite some time on Google checking to see what a jeweler would need to do to switch our a diamond and it seemed nearly impossible to get it to match with only looking at it for less then a minute before cleaning it (http://www.jewelry-secrets.com/Diamonds/Jeweler-Diamond-Switching/How-To-Prevent-Diamond-Switching.html). I also got the brilliant idea to go watch the video of the ring posted on the listing (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=130509894173&si=MDU9Cto7q0dKYxFBXfYTkieXpCU%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT), and thankfully, if you look closely, you can see a small grey streak in the same spot. I can breath now; I know deep down that have my original stone - Phew!

No comments:

Post a Comment